2000 Mitsubishi lancer! I snapped a alternator belt when I replaced it the engine is turning but no sound of compression the motor won't turn over?

20

Asked by Jun 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM

104,285

Engine will not turn over at all or will turn over but not start?

snapped more than an alternator belt...if the starter will not turn...throw a rod? look at your oil pan.~

104,285

The thought is if belt was not spinning alternator properly for some time before it broke the battery could be dead causing a no start issue now. If nothing at all is happening when you turn key to start position check battery for proper voltage. If engine is turning over but just not starting you will need to look deeper into the issues and give us some more info to go on so we can help you figure this out.

20

The starter is turning, the engine is not firing the battery is good!

104,285

Ok not sure what's going on with it so lets reset your system. Take battery cables loose. Leave both of them of the battery for at least ten minutes. This will reset your system.

104,285

Just to be sure it was your alternator belt and not the timing belt that broke right?

20

Yes it was the alternator belt that broke, that I replaced

20

Just found out timing belt is broken!!

104,285

Ok you probably have some bent valves too then. When you put new timing belt on do a compression check on all cylinders. You should have around 180 psi or so on all of them. And all should be within 5-10 psi of each other. If any valves are bent you will have 0 psi on those cylinders. If that the case you will have to remove the head and replace valves. If on your model the water pump is driven by the timing belt change it also while you have it apart. Maybe you will get lucky and not have any bent valves. Good luck.

ouch-