small ammount of unleaded gasoline in diesel fuel tank

Asked by Jun 06, 2007 at 07:49 PM

today, I filled my diesel car with about 2 gallons of unleaded gasoline before I realized what I was doing and stopped. I was advised to syphon out as much as I could, then fill it to the top with the diesel fuel to ensure the mixture of of gas to diesel would consist of as little gasoline as possible. I was able to drive the car about 4 or 5 miles home, and everything seems fine, but should I expect any problems in the near future?. I ended up putting 20 gallons of deisel into it, making for less than 1/10th gasoline in the tank. Thanks

20,760

Hi Shadowedfox! I doubt you will have any issues with this problem going forward. If you didn't siphon any off however I would top off the tank for frequently than normal for a while to keep whittling down the percentage of gasoline. Good luck!

155

Four years ago, I put a couple of gallons of gasoline into the 21 gallon tank of our 1991 350SDL by mistake. The car suffered no any adverse effect. Some recommend adding gasoline in the winter to improve the flow of the viscous diesel fuel. I think adding about 10-20% kerosene is preferable, though it lessens performance, such as that is anyhow with a diesel.