I wonder technology of mazda

Asked by Nov 17, 2014 at 09:43 AM

I wonder the principle of I-stop system of Mazda.
Here is link about tech : http://www.gizmag.com/mazdas-smart-idle-stop-system-uses-
direct-injection-engine-technology/9965/

There are something curious.
I cant understand why it is important for compression stroke & expansion stroke to
have same volume to make optimal efficiency.

Compression stroke and expansion aka power stroke are always the same. regardless. The piston travels up and down the same length, that can not be changed, compression coming up and power going down. I am gong to have to read that again, I am missing something, I 'get it' about igniting stored fuel/air mix to start, but only on one piston? or..? I am REALLY missing something myself

Best Answer

Ok not one piston, and not stored. that wouldn't work. That I notice is from 2008 and personally I have no clue if it's been used on production cars or just an experiment in Japan, and still not entirely grasping it. Either too early in the morning or I am too dense I think the latter

The left image illustration doesn't even make sense. It shows an alternator...I suppose it's oversimplified, but the crank and alternator are connected by a belt, and it shows them turning opposite directions. Two pulleys, or gears, connected, only turn opposite directions when meshed together with gear cogs or direct contact like on the right shown a 'starter motor'. Physics 101. A pulley to pulley with a belt both will turn same. Not counting serpentine belts that wrap around idlers and such, this is a one on one