I recently bought a 1995 BMW 540i base sedan and I think there is a little too much play in steering; car tends to wonder left/right a little too much. Has 99K...??? idle arm???..

55

Asked by Jun 11, 2013 at 08:11 PM

4,585

You would need to do a proper inspection on the steering system to determine exactly what is loose. Idler arm, drag link, end links. Grab the tire at 9 and 3 and shake back and forth and feel for any play. Have a friend look while your shaking to see the movement on the worn component.

55

Thanks Robert, I will call around to see which front end shop would be best (most economical) for a BMW. I am retired on a fixed income so I have to perhaps find a shop that will let me buy any needed parts and then charge labor to install. Are there any national chain shops that you would suggest besides a BMW dealer?