1999 bmw just had new water pump installed but is still overheating when idleing but not when excellerating

Asked by Jul 04, 2011 at 02:40 PM

just had the water pump replaced because the bearing came apart causing the belt to come off amd take out the A/C belt to come off too. they added a thrmostat housing with thermostat and both belts and filled with coolant. I am still overheating when I came to a stop light and was idling the heat needle was blinking red but when I accelerate it runs normal. The mechanic is now saying I need a radiator but I dont want to go that far without knowing what is going on.

1,435

do you have a fan with a viscous housing,(connected to the engine) or an electric. if it is viscous the hub may be failed meaning the unit is not opeating,if it is electric it may have simply failed. this is the most common fault for the complaint you have

I asked the mechanic if the fan was working and he said it was. I have purchased a radiator and will have it installed but in the meantime I will have the fan checked for sure. thanks for your feedback. It may be that this is a factor.