Car Service in Korea

Asked by Feb 22, 2010 at 12:23 AM

I took my car in for not wanting to start after it started that morning.

They replaced the following items:
1 Digital Engine Electronic(DME)               6          
2 Control Valve replacement               3          
3 IDLE Valve                               1       

I was told the engine is fine.  The next day I get:

engine knocks, engine check lights, the car seems to sputter and vibrate, and seems like it wants to shut-off.

What do you think?

95

You need to be jumping up and down on the service managers desk!!!! It appears that they just read the ouput of the computer diagnostics and replaced anything that had a error code. These computer diagnostics are good but it also takes some careful judgement in what is really wrong. I have seen shorted spark plug wires indicate the fuel system was running rich. That was true but because the fuel was not being burnt in the cylinder because there was no spark at the spark plug. Like many thing it was probaly something simple that they have not fixed and possibly made worse. Anything that sets a check engine light is something that they need to fix.

Thank you very much; I did my best in jumping on that desk, while trying to be an ambassador while abroad. One service advisor, provided me a new BMW 5 series to drive while they took the car back in for an anticipated day or two. This service stretched to four days; so now they have understanding of how it feels when I rent a car while the car is in service, now they realize that it cost the customer additional money when the car is not returned as scheduled, and much more importantly, returned in better condition than before it was submitted for the repair. The rental cost sometimes exceeds the cost of the service. You are certainly right about reading the diagnostics from the computer, since the computer didn’t get it right, they involved a more senior technician and they got rid of some of the symptoms, but they were very faint the next after picking up the car. They supposedly replaced the ignition coil to get rid of the “whirrrrr” sound; but I still get it upon starting the car first thing in the mornings to this date. Do you have any idea what this is?

By the way the following was replaced: 12139066468 $85.84 (88,700) , Ignition Coil; 11611717259 $8.46 (8,400) Gasket; 11611716174 $15.02 (14,900) Profile Gasket; Rubber Boot (25,000); Hose (1,510); Pipe Clamp 3 (1,100), Pipe Clamp 2 (800) (315,194).

95

Ignition coils operate and fail silently. It sounds like you have a guy that will say anything to to make you happy. More likely the ignition coil was the problem all along. A whirring noise on start up is usually the starter motor and may or may not be something to worry about. As long as you dont hear in increaseing in volume or getting worse you are probably ok. From the other parts replaced I would not be surprised that they found a manifold leak as well. As long as you are running good count yourself as lucky on this go round and start looking around for a shop that might be a little more forthcoming if you every need service again.

35

Same problem happened to my car and they replaced the ignition coil and some hoses and pipes ,now it's working properly