I have a 1996 Lincoln town car and it will not come out of park gear. What can I do?

Asked by Jul 23, 2015 at 03:24 PM

20,430

Check the cable and linkage going the transmission shifter module on the side of the transmission.

firebird338 is correct, plus check to see if you have brake lights. (need a helper) and if you don't, the problem is there in brake light switch. If it is failed the interlock prevents it from coming out of Park.

Been looking everywhere for an override. Best I can find is from: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71941 -- and this is only if the car will start, but not come out of Park

20,430

Hey FordNut is that the year they started doing that where you would have to depress the brake pedal before it will go into gear and if the brake light switch stops working it will cause it not to go in gear.

Yessir. I had a 1990 Town Car that that was the case. It happened to me. Car would start even, so I pulled connector to switch off, stuck a paper clip in connector to jump, then it would come out of Park but brake lights were on until I pulled paper clip out. I finally bought a new switch and all was well. Redneck solution but it worked until I fixed it right.

20,430

I hear you bro sometimes you got to do what you got to do.