URGENT!! Our son is driving out of state to college and now is about 500 miles away. When he stoped for gas, the car wouldn't start back up. It tries to but will not turn over. See details more info.

Asked by Jun 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Lexus 2001 IS 300 - 125K miles,
Battery replaced 6 months ago.
Driving in the rain for about 3 hours
A similar situation happened a few years ago, but he let it sit for about 2 hours and it started. He waited over night and it still won't start.
He is at a AAA repair shop in a small town
The alternator has never been replaced.  If it is the alternator, how much can we expect for that repair?

210,495

If it cranks, it might be the fuel pump, or ignition related. Probably not the alternator. I wish him luck, glad you had AAA.

It turned out that the car's security system locked him out. What would cause that -- they really couldn't explain it to him. We are glad it wasn't anything more serious but want to guard against it happening again.

I had a 2003 Chevy Monte Carlo that did that to me. The security system locked me out at least twice a year. I would try to start it and nothing would happen, not even a sound like it was trying to turn over. Luckily the service manager at my dealer was very knowledgable and told me what to do. I turned the key to the "on" position and let it sit for about ten minutes, then turned the key completely off for about one minute, and then when I tried again it would start right up. Don't know if this will help you but might be worth a try.

60

well I would check the cam and crank sensors my dodge truck did the same thing and I replaced the fuel pump because someone told me the fuel pump bad it worked for a week and then changed the two sensors and no problem it fixed the problem

This lexus has a chip key,or smart key over time it loses its ability to be read by the car tripping security. Exposure to the following WILL damage smart key any anti theft deprogammer (wal mart) high static electricty exposing the key to water high mosture ect. Also lexus tells me that while rare reprogramming of security ecm is sometimes nessary to correct issue.

Hope that helps.

Wow, that is so rude that Walmart battery could cause all this! I think that is what might have just happened to my car as now it doesn't work and battery replacement was from Walmart! They should not be allowed to sell a product that causes that. I certainly wish I would have read all this before getting a new battery.