I have a vhf marine radio plug into my cigarette sockets in my kia rio the fuse keeps blowing how do i stop this from happening

Asked by Aug 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM

In my Kia rio 3 I have a vhf marine base radio plugged into my car via the cigarette socket
which keeps blowing how can i stop this happening?

98,365

Most VHF radios pull more amperage that a cigarette lighter fuse can handle, I suggest that you run a separate power port just for the VHF radio, and match the fuse with the amperage load listed on the radio.

Okay so in simple terms how do I do that?

98,365

Go to your local parts store, buy an auxiliary power port unit, follow the directions on mounting and hooking up the power and ground, if it isn't already fused, install an inline fuse with the proper amperage fuse as decussed, if it is fused make sure it is of the same amperage as discussed, and your done.