I hav a 1998 jeep that won't start on the first start, always have to turn the key off then try to restart, then it starts, puts to much stress on my starter, now the car won't even turn ovr,

Asked by Feb 14, 2014 at 09:55 AM

110,065

First I would check battery voltage and battery terminals. They must be clean and tight. If all that checks out ok then I would try moving gear selector in and out of park a couple times then try again to start it.

35

Or, perhaps it could be a starter celenoid going bad. when it didn't start on first try, what did it do? would it crank and not light? would it just click-click? would lights dim? Also check your frame to engine ground strap. make sure the bolts are tight and surfaces are free of corrosion.