Jeep won't start

540

Asked by Nov 01, 2013 at 06:42 PM

Not battery

8,505

what model, year?

170

Will it turn over at all?

540

yes all the lights & sounds work; including radio. i called a couple of repair shops & both said sounds like electrical; maybe a short ?

540

2007 grand cherokee. i have had this problem for past 3-4 months now. just doesn't start at any given time.

540

yes it turns over.

8,505

so its a (crank no start issue)? Or no crank?

540

i don't know what you mean by "crank" ? everything that should happen does when i start it except for the engine !

8,505

does the starter turn the engine over(crank)and engine not start? or does the starter not work at all?

540

first one - the starter turns the engine over but engine does not start. it has started twice yesterday; the first time it made a loud noise but it did start & the second time it started right away like normal. this was since it did not start on friday. are you the guy that said it might be ignition relay ?

8,505

It was not me, but you can try swapping starter relay with horn relay. They will swap as long as the numbers on the top are the same. When it wont start, can you hear the relay click? You might have someone listen to relay. If there is no click, could be connection between relay and PCM. Or wire between ign. switch and relay. If it does click but no crank, odds are its the starter.

540

thank you ! i do not hear crank. not sure on the click. tomorrow my mechanic is looking at & he is quite good with electrical. thanks again !!!

540

jeep doctor - i had to let you know it was the starter after all. you were right ! thanks.

8,505

Im glad you got it fixed......Glad to help

60

Its an electronic issue with the steering. The tires have to be facing straight for the jeep to start. I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee and this would happen to me and not to my wife. Then it finally happened to her and a lady told her this was the cause. We tried it on own own and produced the problem and did what she said and it worked like a charm every time. Give it a go!

60

Also the jeep has to be in park. If you have a automatic, tap the stick to make sure its all the way in park.

20

The prior week there were two occasions when I turn the key and nothing. Then one day,after driving 100 miles, shutting the car off, I went to restart and nothing. Everything on the dash came on but it would not attempt to start. I started going thru the list of possible culprits. Eliminated the battery and alternator, it had plenty of power. I had replaced the starter six months earlier so I replaced starter with warranty. The one thing I noticed was the key didn't bounce back when you turned the key. I removed the ignition, only to have it fall into my hand in pieces. The piece between the key and the electronic ignition switch had broken in half. I replaced it with a new part, taking care when installing and it started right up. It's been four months and no issues

20

06 Jeep Liberty 150,000 mi

30

I change my ignition today and the jeep still won't start when I reach at my home from the dealer

30

Can I ask what's the problem

so my jeep is turning over when and i had to run a toggle switch of the starter and i cant seem to figure out the issue i'm thinking about replacing the key switch do you think i'm going the correct route

When I push my leg to start, then put my hand on the start/stop Ignition button---the car won't move. I have to to keep trying until it started as. Thanks.

20

okay idk what to do my jeep wont turn over at all and idk what the cause is, i turn it to start and everything works but when i turn the key all the way it wont turn on at all idk if its the starter or the starter ignition switch. how can i tell?

i have a 1997 jeep cherokee 4.0 2wd my jeep wont start at all i changed the starter and when i hooked my battery up the starter spins on its own and now nothing wont come on inside my jeep it wont startr nothing i need help

like the starter spins without me touching it or the keys as soon as i put the terminals back on battery

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee that periodically won't start but the engine turns over. I discovered that the engine must be in 'off' mode for the engine to start. If it's in 'acc' or 'on' it will not start.