Stupid to Buy 2000 Jaguar XK-Series XK8 Convertible?

Asked by Mar 28, 2015 at 04:06 PM

I love the car. In Newport Beach they retail (Dealers) for $8K to $14K with miles of 70K
and up. Based on mechanical reputation, should I even consider this vehicle? Are there
better choices for a convertible with great looks? Back seat is not a big issue.

ANY counsel appreciated.
Jer

35,275

Jaguar = Electrical issues galore. I would avoid it unless you have extra money you are not afraid to spend.

Thank you. My head knows this but my heart says otherwise :-)

1,965

Ford had solved the electrical problems by the year 2000. However, it is still a 15 year old car. It would be hit or miss as far as putting money into the car. Also, look at Volvo Mercedes and BMW you might find a slightly newer car for the same price. I would still say the Jag would be the best looking as far as being sporty. There is also the Mazda two seater. I own a 2002 Saab 9-3 because it was the cheapest convertible other than the Chrysler Sebring.

365

I owned a 99 and 2000 XK, depending on the mileage and the previous driving habits it's not a bad car. Things to consider, gear tensioners, convertible hydraulics (they tend to rupture and it's quite pricey to repair) and eventually the fuel pump will need to be replaced. If I were in the market I would probably look at a newer car BMW 650 or Mercedes