87 F-I50 WIPER PROBLEMS

10

Asked by Sep 19, 2016 at 04:32 PM

My wipers will move a little each time i turn the switch on and off. After that I
hear a grinding sound. I replaced the motor w/ a yard motor and the same
thing is happening. They really struggle to make one sweep and never
come to a park position. Any ideas? It is not my daily driver but still a safety
issue I need to fix. I paid a shop $60 bucks to tell me the motor needed
replacing and it would be $350.  It has the 2 plug motor.

9,550

Make sure all the connecting rods & rods to wipers are connected tight and correct.

10

I was really hoping for it to be an electrical problem either w/ the switch or a test for the new yard motor. The grinding sound has me confused. Taking it all apart again was something I was trying to avoid but if that's what you think it is I will do it. I am just not sure what I am looking for when I get in there. Thanks for your quick response. This truck was my grandfathers and I have really struggled to keep it going. Fordtruckfan

9,550

I had an issue like this and when I opened it up to see where the sounds were, the main arm that connects to the other set of arm had came loose and was just spinning around while the wipers barely move at all, I had never looked at this before that time and was able to figure it out. Its been years since then I think I took off the section of body panel between hood and windshield and it was right there.

10

Thank you again. The next sunny day I will pop the cowl back off and see whats going on in there. I know the linkage is connected to the motor when i installed the new (yard) one. There is a clip on the end of the shaft that holds them on to the motor arm. I just bought some spray white lithium grease and will give everything a good going over. Thanks again for your quick response. You are the only one so far and I thank you much for taking the time. Fordtruckfan

10

Ok so I tore it all open again and checked the linkage. Linkage is fine. Motor will not spin except it moves a little when I push in the wash button. I hear a persistant clicking sound when the motor is switched to both speeds. I have heard of a wiper control module so I guess that is the next step. I'm not sure how to test the motor by itself. I tried putting 12volts to the black and red wires on the one black plug but got nothing. Not sure what the gray plug does. I got variable voltage on the 2nd and third wire of this plug. If someone had a wiring diagram so I knew what did what that would be very helpful. On an unrelated note my breaks are losing pedal and have to be pumped to stop effectively. Master cylinder is full and I see no leaking on the ground. Any thoughts on either issue. Thanks very much Fordtruckfan

9,550

If you hear a hiss It is brake booster or a very small leak in lines or wheel cylinder. Wiper Motor is most likely bad.

10

Thanks for the info. I will check out the symptoms. I was afraid to take the cap off the booster unit to check cause I thought it would induce air into the system which would further complicate the problem. It there a way to troubleshoot these items?

9,550

Can pull each rear brake drum to see if the wheel cylinders are wet if so replace both sides. Look around all the lines too for damp areas. There some test to for brake booster I have to check on the exact procedure as its been awhile since I had to do it. Can unhook the electrical to wiper motor and run jumper wire from battery to it and see if its working, if it is may have a low voltage issue on that wire or bad ground to it.

Best Answer
10

Thank you so much for your quick response. I really appreciate it. Great info thank you very much. I will look for these small signs of fluid leak. Any further booster test info would certainly be appreciated. Also on the wiper do you know which wire is hot? White and black are the obvious ones. I just don't want to hook up wrong and fry it. Thanks again for responding Fordtruckfan

9,550

A rule of thumb on auto's is which ever is solid no strip is ground or if both are solid and one is black, brown its ground. Or in other words which ever one has a strip it is positive. If neither have a strip and one is black or brown then the other on is positive. So if your black wire is solid and your white is solid then the black is ground and your white is positive. But if your black has a strip and the white is solid then the black & strip wire is positive. But if one wire is solid red it is positive and if any other wires on that connector have a strip it is positive for another reason and the solid red will be the main power wire and all other striped wires are auxiliary power positives.

9,550

Many times white is positive and black is negative on autos with the above explanations. Which is not similar to home building code where black is hot, white= neutral/return & bare/green= ground, red=switch current, other colors/combinations=considered hot.

10

Thanks! The wires are both solid so I will play it as black neg and white pos and see if I can get the old motor to run. If it does then I know the motor was fine all along and something else must be the issue. I guess the gray plug provides the power to the motor and the black plug must be the variable speed? I will put 12volts to the solid white and black wires of the gray plug and see what happens. I can get the motor out now in 15 min flat I've been in and out so much. I also really need to concentrate on the breaks issue as a matter of importance and safety. Thanks again for your response. Fordtruckfan