2004 ford explorer starting issue

Asked by Sep 05, 2016 at 08:09 PM

I have a 04 explorer with a v6 motor. I came out
one morning and tried to start the car. It tried to
crank for a half a second and then nothing else
since then. I think one of my kids got in and left a
light on or something so i tried jumping it. All the
ass. Lights and ignition come on but doesnt click
or anything at the starter. I took off the starter and
had it tested came back as a good starter. Took
battery off and trickle charged it to 100% still
nothing. I swapped the relays back and forth still
nothing. When i got into the ignition the constant
power lights up the assesary wire lights up in
second position and the ignition wire lights up in
the crank position however underneath on the
starter i tested the power was good the ground
was good but the ignition wire doesnt get any
power when cranked. Does this mean. There is a
problem in the wire or could it be in the ignition
switch or the coil or did my key get deprogramed.
Someone please help im at a loss here

9,390

Most cars (not for sure on that model) have a relay starter box under the dash near the steering column. I had to replace one once. The starter engaged first time but now after checking the battery and terminals & starter it is not engaging the starter at all, sounds like no power from the key ignition switch or on its way to the there.

The box with the relays and fuses in it?

9,390

I would check those too but no its up under the dash by steering column on most cars. Its called ignition starter relay. May to look at a chilton book for that model locate it.

Ok yes i already checked the others will see if i can locate the one under the dash. Thanks for the info. Hopefully i can get this figured out soon or will have to tow to dealership

Nope thats not it either.

Have ruled out the starter the battery the relays fuses and the ignition switch. Could it be the nuetral safety switch or fuel pump related?

Or possibly something im not thinking of

9,390

I know this sounds off but there is a part that controls the actions of the users input of changing gears And yes I do believe Neutral safety switch, Last one I replaced was on the firewall engine side above transmission, you have to disconnect and replace, I also has to go back in the same or if your in drive it may look like your in reverse by looking at the dash, Sometimes you can hold the gear shifter up in park as far as you can while turning the key and it will start other time not so but I believe your right on the Neutral safety switch. Another note while changing it out it want to move to the next position and if you do not notice it when you get in the car it will be off on the dash and depending on which way it moves you may have a hard time finding the correct position or may not be able to find park or first at all, so look at Youtube or book before replacing.

Ok thanks got a chilton book for it the other day to help me along.