High ECT on Dash with engine cold

Asked by May 19, 2016 at 10:10 AM

Hello; I have a 1997 Ford E450 V10-6.8L (Gulf Stream / Yellowstone RV). As
soon as I turn the key on I get a high ECT on the dashboard gauge (engine
cold). There is no check engine lights or DTC codes. Actually when I read the
real time data I'm able to see the actual coolant temperature (engine hot) which
leads me to believe my sensor is good. Any Ideas?

13,175

That is because you need to view Date stream of ETC (Electric Throttle control) NOT temperate. Regards... you'll find it fast with your Date stream scan tool.

101,925

ECT-engine coolant temperature, ETC-engine throttle control. If it is reading high look for crud build up in the throttle body itself, if it is dirty then clean it with throttle body cleaner, and then check the PCV system, make sure it is operating properly. I have seen a few of these even after a good cleaning still read bad and needed replaced to get rid of a code, but as yours doesn't have a code yet you should be fine. On your live data look at the TPS, you may have a throttle sensor that maybe slightly out of specs, and that will also give you a high reading ton the ETC. HTH

I'm not sure if I understand but I have a high engine coolant temperature indication with a cold engine. I don't think this has anything to do with a ETC?

101,925

Then the possibilities are a bad temp sender, not sensor, a bad warning system connection or a fault in the wiring for the temp sensing circuits. Is the chassis using Ford instrumentation or some ones else's system?

13,175

Welcome to the new age the ETC is causing your problem its nothing to do with engine temperate sending unit or gauges.. plenty of engineering books on the subject of EECIV and CAN BUS I encourage all to read and learn!

Thanks for the help, the chassis is using Ford instrumentation.

101,925

Ok so nothing wierd there, then I would locate the sender and disconnect it and see if the reading changes, it should go full scale, if it does then replace the sender, if not then it could be the gauge itself, at one time you could recalibrate those gauges but not anymore.

Thanks tennisshoes. It is already full scale?

101,925

Ok then that tells that the circuit is open, so either the sender is bad or you have a broken wire somewhere between the sender and the gauge. I would replace the sender with a new one just cause these do fail often in heavy duty use like a motorhome. Then see what the gauge reads.