What type of hose and clamps should I use to replace the hoses connecting directly to the fuel pump sending unit inside of the gas tank on a 1999 Ford Taurus. They were corrugated plastic and I replaced them with black rubber hoses and regular hose clamps with screws. The line will now pop off while driving inside of the tank causing the car to turn off.

Asked by Mar 17, 2015 at 01:42 PM

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

4 Answers

Were they push-lock connectors before you replace them? This is just an example of a push-lock nipple, smooth and I can see how it would pop off. For a nylon fuel line and clamp it really should have a flange or bevels on the nipple.

When you say corrugated plastic, if this is what it looks like, that's what they are, push-lock


The fuel lines are under pressure and looks like its popping off the hose clamps you installed. I beleive the hoses come with special quick connect fittings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2TrjxYLyj4


the question was referring to the electric fuel pump inside the gas tank - not an external in-line fuel filter as your pictures indicate. Like this one

Your Answer:


Looking for a Used Ford in your area?

CarGurus has 784,094 nationwide Ford listings starting at $600.


Ford Experts

  • #1
    Tom Demyan
  • #2
  • #3
View All

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.