My 94 ford ranger is 5 speed and I'm having trouble with it shifting. I can put it in gear while the engines off put when its on it don't want to shift. It makes a bad popping and clicking sound and m

Matthew Green

Asked by Dec 27, 2013 at 07:40 PM

Check clutch fluid level. Watch slave cylinder as some one presses the clutch pedal. It should make a full extension. If fluid level is low look around clutch pedal, master cylinder and slave cylinder for the leak. I believe you will find that the master cylinder or slave cylinder is your problem.

Like dandyoun states, you'll find a problem with a component of the hydraulic clutch. It's possible that the Firewall is weak or popping but more likely that the collar the Throw-out bearing rides on is galled and causing a lot of friction for the throw out bearing and Slave. Sounds likely that you'll be pulling a transmission.