77 f150 distributor installation and timing ...the truck is older and mechanic could not figure out the timing on pulleys.. How do I fix it?

145

Asked by Dec 01, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I'm pulling some hairs off
or maybe growing some
white hairs with this
truck... I love it but there
should be a line
between love and I need
to possibly get rid of
you.. Any ideas... Well
anyways my mechanic
sort of charged me 120
cause finally after
tweaking the distributor
and turning my fan
adjusting it turned on...
Yeiiii... Next day take it
to work it's fine ... Going
back home like 5 min
away from my home I
start hearing gun shots...
Wow it's my truck farting
from the carburetor or
muffler area ... Called
mechanic said I told u
that the fan pulley area
is not the right one that
was placed jn the
truck... Ok truck is
running while his telling
me this but he never
said I recommend not to
drive the truck until that's
fixed... What should I do
now ????

109,975

With it back firing I think you might be right back where you started with the dist/timing issues. Did your mech ever say exactly why the old dist blew apart? Did he lock down the set screw on the side of the dist? If not it could have moved some causing this new issue.

109,975

Your motor is a 300 straight 6?

Good morning dandy..we collided again We need insurance

The distributor timing is easy to set, can be done by ear. Loosen the hold down bolt on distributor, start engine and turn whichever way it idles highest. Then turn the distributor counter clockwise until the idle slows just a little. Next get a timing light and hook up to #1 spark wire (do not detach wire, clamp timing light lead on it) and point it on harmonic balancer and turn distributor again until it lines up at 8ยบ BTDC

109,975

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/392215-timing-marks.html --- check this out. Seems the 300 straight 6 has two sets of timing marks. Did you mech use the right marks to set your timing? Common mistake.

109,975

Good morning David. Lol yes we need insurance.

1977 was the first year the 351 was introduced. Is it the 300 /6? I believe you dandy...just don't see Fabs mentioned what it is. And Fabs sorry, impolite to talk about you in 3rd person ...anyway Yeah, the two sets of timing marks are for retarding the ignition just a bit for certain conditions on the 300/6. The 351 doesn't have that. Does not have breaker points in distributor either. 70's technology, Electronic ignition in it's infancy. But it to eliminate points was a major step

109,975

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-m2_ds564966 -- here's where I found the engine size for her truck.

145

Thanks guys for the posts .