I was driving on fwy I heard a bang ?

145

Asked by Oct 28, 2013 at 06:03 PM

My 77 ford f150 truck
made a loud noise like if
my back tire had pop ..
No flats looked at the
engine the distributor is
broken from the bottom
.. Why ???? Anyone
have ideas .

wondering now if the helical gear that drives the distributor isn't Krunched~

145

Where's the rotor? - or did u mean brake rotors ???? Is that why it's not turning on ? Everything works battery .. Ignition .. Starter.. alternator ..

145

The helical gear???

237,305

I thought you meant the distributor cap, but you meant the distributor itself.

92,785

I seen a sand buggy do the same thing, the distributor shaft bushing froze in the housing and sheared the housing right off the base, odd but it didn't damage the cam gear, got the engine on TDC, dropped in a new distributor, set the timing, and back out on the dunes.

Best Answer

modern systems are easier without all this hardware, anymore...CRUNCH...a distributor should not sound like that....but a catastrophic failure what tennisshoes is talkin' about WILL~!

this is the V6 278 or the ECOboost 400+ V6?

the ROTOR is the thing at the belly button on that cap that looks like cow's udders....this is the center teat that the rotor is in contact with...goes round and round distributing the energy from that center wire~

the distributor has the wires going to it and the one in the center going to the coil~

the rotor is inside that~ goes round and round pointing at the wires~(with contacts on account of the high-voltage)~

145

Ok I'll change it I'll chk back again If I have more questions - thanks guys.