What should I swap a ford 302 V8 into?

Asked by Sep 15, 2013 at 01:36 PM

So my brother has a 1989 V8 engine lying around. I think It'd be fun to put the engine
into a sedan-style car like a taurus. (I don't wanna buy a taurus SHO because I've
heard of a fatal flaw that can mess up your engine if you run it with too high of RPM's)
What is a semi cheap 80's or 90's sedan that I could drop the engine into without too
much fabrication or effort? Also would the resulting hybrid even be worth it? (in terms of
top speed mainly) Thanks for all your opinions and answers cause I basically know
nothing about car modifications!

105,475

If you don't know much about building a modified then don't even attempt a difficult project, the easiest one that I can think of would be a early to mid 70's Maverick, Comet or even a Mustang 2 as a 302 was an option for these cars mods will be simple so to speak. You still need to consider all of the electronics for the computer controls, transmissions, beefing up suspensions for added weight, exhaust, stuff like that. It really wouldn't be a hybird as you are still only using 1 source as a power supply. Top speed would depend on what type of gearing system you decide on, any engine mods before install, total vehicle weight, stuff like that.

26,275

Monster Miata! There is a kit to drop a 5.0L into a Mazda Miata. All it takes is $2-3K and a few weekends. Zoom! Zoom!

26,275

BTW - the Taurus SHO has a REV Limiter - as do all modern, computer controlled vehicles.

From what I understand a Jaguar will accept a FORD bell housing flange~

here's one example... http://www.brokenkitty.com/xke/xke6.htm

dude...you gotta catch a Jag...check around with car-part.com...you'll PEG one~

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-17/swapping-another-v8-into-xk8- 61020/