How do I install a tachometer rpm to my 77 f150 automatic truck?

Asked by Jul 12, 2013 at 07:49 PM

How do I install it and is
it necessary to have?

here are the typical colors that are used~

No it is not necessary...not sure about you but I can definitively tell when it's idling too high but, you see those are the old days when we could still adjust...all we can do now is look for a leak at the fuel pressure regulator and insure this NON OBD-II device works properly...if leakin' vacuum would cause high idle and poor acceleration (because regulation was not happening)~

My fifty dollar SHINY bright SUN tach was ripped from the dashboard leaving a gaping hole, replaced it with one I had from a previous vehicle...took it out because it always blinded me (reflective front) so now, my toyota has a tachometer with spiders living in it that doesn't work and a gaping hole where my shiny SUN tachometer was....I think it was my neighbor who abashedly took it...fu@!er~

so no use your ears...also make sure the fuel pressure regulator is operating normally~

Guess you cannot tell when a motor is a 800 rpm there Mr. NEED MY RPMs displayed or will get confused James....dirk~

must be tough to achieve that 160 approval points mister...your green is showing, by the way~

guess I did not consider you amongst the top 50 contributing experts and did not send you an invite to provide your address for a cargurus cap~...all the same you'd rather cast disparaging remarks indicating your mentality~

@James --I'm sorry you are not concerned with auto problems as much as dishin' the dirt...shame that~ NEGATIVE energy will not be tolerated...leave your dirty shoes outside the door before you enter the temple please~

6,805

Everyone likes to argue here. I guess it's the way of the world now. Anyway, judge roy is correct. You really don't need a tach on a vehicle with an automatic transmission. Tachometers were there on vehicles with a manual tranny to let you know at what rpm to shift gears at. Obviously an automatic trans. does it by itself. I like having one in all my vehicles either way just to monitor engine speeds while driving and while doing tune-ups and adjusting the carb on my 1969 Ford XL automatic & my'79 Ford pickup with a 4 spd. . My '79 pickup has a tach plug coming from the ignition coil right from the factory but never had one as an option so I added my own. My '89 Crown Vic automatic with EFI doesn't have one nor really needs one either but I installed one anyway. I also installed a trio of gauges on all of my vehicles too so I can monitor the engine oil pressure, and radiator temp and alternator output.. , Ford has a better idea !!! Kenny/MrBlueOval

that danged MINI my wife is buying me has a GPS instead of ANY info as to how the engine is doing...just keep toolin' along on faith brother~ they designed it that way...and I am thinking why do they not have a toggle to display either the GPS or the trio pack...gonna look into that once we get the payments down~....but a groovy GPS and road service~

it DOES have a tachometer...so you can tell when the CVT automatic has you at 2200 rpm doing 65 miles per hour....nutty autobahn speeds made easy with this 1.6 liter R50 (timing chain) engine~

sharing your successes and failures is what it is all about~

fabi2330 drives a girls bike....recommend tri-flo for your chains (you probably already own a can of this anyways)~

@James, have you been dating your friend kbro? tag team haters...yay! Latte?...fellow get a grip...you friggin' drink latte's....have never touched the s##t....again this is a friendly forum where we present ideas to one another and the world what the best possible solution to any problem might be~ you just aren't getting it...bringin your filthy sense of humor into our temple~

thanks for the suggestions. And yeah the bike is one of my rides clean air drive.. my other drive is 77f150.