77 f150 starting problems

Asked by Jun 08, 2013 at 03:09 PM

New battery .. Cables...
Starter was chkd good...
New solenoid .. New
coil... We tested current
and for some reason the
black cable that goes to
starter dnt show any
sign of power and also
the cable to the starter
showed no sign of
power... The cable to
the positive lights up
from the solenoid.. What
els.. Fuses are good ..
There's gasoline ... ?
Any other ideas what to
chk? Thanks.

21,765

Neutral Safety switch on the transmission or clutch pedal if it's a standard transmission. If you jump one terminal of the solenoid to the positive terminal on the same solenoid, it should crank. Be sure that the brake is set and the key is off or it may start. There should be 2 small terminals in the solenoid (sometimes only one). You can use a screwdriver to shunt across them - the preferred method is with a remote starter. If my memory serves me correctly, it should be a blue wire with a red stripe connected to the terminal you need. The same wire can be found (actually 2 wires) at the trans or clutch and can be shunted to to test the circuit. (Don't leave them like that because you are defeating a safety device) If it's equipped with a second terminal, it is a circuit that tells the ignition that you are starting the engine and alters the timing for an easier start. There won't be any power from the solenoid to the starter until you engage the solenoid.

77 F150 no neutral safety switch automatic. .. it a 6 cylinder 350 engine.. it has 2 terminals S and I on the solenoid.. to jump start it they have to be both positive one on the solenoid and positive side battery?

101,385

On your solenoid you have two large post one has a large wire going to the battery and some small wires going to any ign items that need constant 12 volts.(this post should show 12 volts at all times as long as battery is hooked up). The other large post goes to the starter( should only be one large wire hooked up and will only show 12 volts while key is in the start position). The I terminal on solenoid should have a small wire hooked to it going to the + terminal of your coil. The S terminal should only have one small wire hooked to it going to the ign . (It should only show 12 volts when key is in start position). Hope this helps. Also in sure that solenoid is bolted down properly.

101,385

If you jump 12 volts from battery to the S terminal on solenoid the starter should ingage as long as you also have the battery hooked up to the one large post along with other small wires on that post as stated above. (Key must be in run position in order for it to crank this way)

101,385

If starter will engage by jumping 12 volts to S terminal you possibly have an ign or safety switch issue the reason the key wont engage the starter. If so test the wire going to the S terminal for 12 volts when key is in the start position. If there is not voltage showing with key in the start position it is an ign switch or safety switch issue. Check ign switch itself for 12 volts supplying it if none check for bad fuseable link at soleniod. One of the small wires hooked up on the large post with the feed coming from the battery is usually the one feeding the ign switch and has the link in it right at the large post.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO WILL GIVE IT A TRY... WILL ASK MORE QUESTIONS IF I NEED TO .

101,385

Ok. Good luck. Just let us know if we can help more.

21,765

The Neutral Safety Switch is on the Transmission. It allows you to crank the engine in either Park or Neutral and turns on the Backup Lights in reverse. Also, is there an aftermarket alarm or starter interrupt installed under the dash? That'll slow down progress too!

Broke automatic shifter on 1977 f150. Need help l