2011 Camero Conv.- do you lock it to store for 6 mos and have the sec. light system blink all the while? Will it run battery down. Plan on starting it up once a month for 40 mins.

Asked by Nov 25, 2012 at 08:49 AM

do you lock the doors to store if the sec. light will remain blinking during the 6 mo. storage time.  Will the battery wear down; we plan to start it up once a month for 40 mins. in Northern Minn.  Thank you.

8,265

You might hook it up to a maintenance trickle charger. I don't know how much draw there is from the alarm system, but once a month is lot likely enough to maintain the charge. When you start it, are you planning to drive it or just run the engine? If you are going to drive it around, that is one thing. If it is going to remain stationary, I would rethink. Make sure the tank is full, add the required amount of fuel stabilizer, and leave it be. You might be best to disconnect the battery. If there is no power in the car, there is no possibility of a short frying the entire car! Also, if you are just running the engine, you are doing nothing about warming the differential, transmission or anything else, and you are not going to help the brakes survive, either. Also, running it that infrequently is a great way to encourage condensation inside the block, as it cools down each time.

Michael has it right, all of it, I would just add if practical. raise it of the ground with jackstands or something safe, to get the tires off the ground. They will develop a flat spot, that would eventually go away, but it's not good to allow that to happen. I would go with the trickle charger, they are not expensive and you won't have to re- program anything. There is no need to start it, for the reasons Mike explained. If outside, cover it, and please remember the fuel stabilizer and make sure your anti-freeze is good The reason for a full tank of gas is it will prevent condensation