What is this?

Asked by Jun 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I found this in some junk. It appears to be brass or brass plated

665

Looks like a VIN tag, right?

246,725

Looks similar to the metal tag I removed off my catalytic convertor heat shield when it was buzzing. It was just tack welded on and the welds rusted off.

I can't match it with any of the VIN tags I seen on the internet Hans. And Tom, that seems more likely, but there don't seem to be any tack weld marks and there are two holes in it: one in the upper left and one about a half inch down on the right. At first i thought the CA might mean Canada, but then if it is smog related it could be California.