Do I have to replace the entire rear end on my Ford Escape '01?

Asked by Feb 28, 2012 at 07:02 PM

My o/d light started blinking while driving down the interstate. My Escape started jerking, vibrating underneath, and loud rumbling sound like it trying to change gears. It stop when I took my foot off gas pedal but return whe accelerating. It slowed to 20mph. I floored it still 20mph. It was hard to pull as if something was holding it then let go. When I pull over and shut the engine, it started again with no problems. Few feet the same problem. When my dad tried to tow it with his trailer, it made the loud rumble it was hard to pull like it was being dragged. The mechanic wants to replace the entire rear end. Is he correct?

sounds to me like the ring and pinion is bad if you dident totaly mess the housing up you can get a new set and fix the rear end for about 1000 dolers parts and labor to 1300 the ring and pinion only costs about 600 dollers the last i checkt at power train you might want to pull the rear drive line out and have it ccecked becuse of

the wear and tear the rear end put on the ujointswhen you pull the drshaft out youl be able to feal if the pinion is loose you might get lucky and you caught the berings before the gears sheared and all you have to do is replace the berrings and races make sure when he pulls the rear end out

you get a look at the parts if thers no broken teeth or galling uneven wear your ok and yor only looking at 250 to 300 parts and labor

735

it sounds as if you have more of a trans concern than a rear end concern. the o/d light blinking wouldnt be tripped by rear end failure