Is it normal for Hyundai i20 to have a problem with reverse gears?

Asked by Sep 22, 2016 at 10:14 AM

I have a 2 year old Hyundai i20 the getting it into to gear is a bit of a problem, I have to pump the clutch before it goes into gear just for reverse only, (other gears are fine) just problem with reverse gear, i took it back to the showroom and there reply was, all cars will do this as its the way the gear system is made!!! as I pointed out I have never experienced this with any other car before, even my old fiesta, their reply was, they all will do it eventually, he took it on a 'test run' he pointed out there wasnt a problem putting it into reverse, I know my car I know there is a problem, why won't anyone believe me? My foot is firmly on the floor before I try to engage reverse, it won't go in until I pump the clutch,

19,485

I have owned many a stick shift and at times not all the time but say every 15 times when going to reverse yes it will feel like you can not push it in, But the trick is to not force it. Just wait until its at idle with foot on clutch ease it in sometimes let it roll ever so little, half a foot or so and drop it in. and unlike all the forward gears that you can push the clutch in and move threw all gears this is not or should not be attempted with reverse wait until at a complete stop or you will or can grind the reverse gear, may not hurt it but still avoid it. sometimes when going to reverse if it feels like it does not want to go turn the steering wheel wiggle your weight maybe at same time ease off brake a little and let it move a tiny bit, see it can be felt the gear that is why you do not try to go to reverse until stopped and if between teeth it does not engage,

19,485

No need to double clutch the reverse gear. Make sure the clutch is bleed of air if it has a slave cylinder.

20

Even my I20;has same problem . I got same response from hundai