2010 Hyundai Santa Fe won't start--not battery. It makes click noise or sounds like starter won't engage. It isn't battery as it tested great. Fuse is ok. After 10-15 tries it finally starts.

Wendy Willis

Asked by Nov 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Sounds like a starter to me.

I just ran into this issue with my neighbors. i verified at the positive terminal of the starter 12 volts were present. i then verified at the signal wire 12 volts were present when key was in the crank position. So i did naturally what any mechanic would do and call a starter. After installing new starter the same thing. WTF over!!!!! I then measured voltage drop on the constant terminal of the starter when cranking and verified a drop from 12.6 to 12.1 volts good. measured voltage drop on both grounds one from engine block to p\s fender well, 12.6 to 12.1. Voltage drop from battery negative cable to fender well the same. what is going on here I said. All connections are clean and all measures are good and unit only has 60,000 miles. For shits and giggles i decided to remove both grounds from the fenders and remove the paint with a piece of sand paper to bare metal and reattach. Unit started with no issues. the paint between the ground cables and terminal ends was too much. Why now after 60,000 miles I have no clue and wish I did.

Huge thank you to dirtydiesel above. Had the same problem with my 2011 Santa Fe. Replaced the battery 3 years ago at 24K miles, which seemed ridiculous, and now at 48K miles the clicking started again even though the battery was good. We saw this post, removed the ground, sanded everything down, and it started up with no problems. Not sure why anyone thought grounding by the threads alone was a good idea, but I'm very happy we found this post! To anyone else... before you replace the battery or starter (the 2 responses that seem to be most common to this issue), check the ground and save yourself time and money! There is a Hyundai forum giving the same info (with pictures) at: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/cm-2007-2012-santa-fe/123547- 2010-owners-public-service-anouncment.html