How do Hummers handle on snow and icey roads?

Asked by Jan 25, 2014 at 01:35 AM

10,915

Which one? 1, 2 or 3. The 1's are heavy beasts with 4 wheel independant suspension. Most have large tires and some with the ability to air down the wheels from the cab. I believe all or most had lockers. Their shear weight aid in traction but tend to go straight in the corners. The 2 is based on the Yukon/Tahoe with some lift, skid plates and larger tires with a shorter body for better approach and departure angles. They wouldn't handle much different than a 4x4 tahoe or yukon (more body roll fom the tires and lift). The 3 is based of the Colarado/Canyon chasis. Best option for this one is to read some reviews as it cannot be compared to the truck's handling. It got some decent magazine coverage but I think it fell short in the market due to competing with Jeep.

23,705

Is this a trick question? The hummer will do better in snow, sand, sleet, dark of night than a Hyundai

1,105

I don't care what you have, nothing handles well on ice unless it has studded tires and even then ice is an enemy. Also the fact you have 4 or all wheel drive won't make that much of a difference if you hit a large patch of ice. While 4 or all wheel drive will get you going where some cars can't, it gives you a false sense of security. Remember in winter driving, it's not about how fast you can go, but how fast you can stop. 4 or all wheel drive doesn't help at all when it comes time to brake on the slick stuff.

20

I have an 08 H3 and it does very well in the snow. Nothing does well on ice.

I believe the hummer is just a show off. Maybe it's great in snow. But it's worthless in sand. I have tried a lot of 4x4's in sand, and the Hummer was the worst.