How do I find out how much my Suburban might be worth for scrap

Asked by Jul 28, 2016 at 01:46 PM

I have a 1997 suburban 170k low mirage for year but quit running think it is transmission need to get rid of it don't know how much to ask scrap yard said maybe 300-400 I was hoping to see at least 1000 I am not sure about the wt standard cab lb 4wd I do know it is 4wd

Actually, the state may give you more just to retire your car,. No one will pay you one thousand for a car that doesn't even run....

Scrap yards will not negotiate a price, they pay per pound. Drive the truck on the scale to weight it, sign the title over and your done. Expect to get $200-$300 tops.

If you want more, post the truck on craigslist while being honest with the condition, you might get a little more.

You can use the gross vehicle weight listed on your door tag or title to get an idea what the truck weights, but scrap yards will not pay based on that weight since it includes non-metal parts. I think if you get even 200 from a scrap yard you're lucky. Most just don't pay out well (in fact most will tow it away for free and that's about it). I agree with Tom, post it on Craiglist, part it out if you have to. Sell the interior as a set, the glass, or as a "mechanic's special," but be realistic about what you can get for it.

Consider this, get rid of this gas guzzling behomth, you don't want this hanging around and paying insurance for this.....that could add up quickly and lower your return.