truck wont shift into gear

Asked by Oct 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I started the truck and it would not shift into gear and the gauges were not working. I have had trouble with the alarm going off all the time so I had to remove the fuse to the battery.. I turned off the truck and restarted it and it worked fine. Would an electrical short cause it not to shift into gear?

34,545

Yes and if the cluster isn't working then I'd say there are lots of issues in the dash. There is a mechanical release on the shifter and 2 things have to happen for you to be able to shift. 1. Key inserted and turned on and 2. brake pedal depressed. The two will send a signal to the servo to release the shifter. Either one of the two is broken or something in the dash is "broken" and the signal isn't passing for it to release.