2012 charger electronics went haywire, car shut off and now the whole car is dead. Plz help it's Christmas

Asked by Dec 25, 2014 at 06:08 AM

It's a 2012 dodge charger v6 se car
just shut down on the road
everything shut down now car won't
start or nothing electronic works.
Please help it happed on Christmas
and my car is sitting in a parking lot
right now

7,250

The only advice that I can Give is sort of a "Hail Mary" football pass. ~~Disconnect the Positive terminal + leave it off for about 30 seconds then reconnect. God Bless

4,035

sounds like your p60 recall kicked in ...the alternator that is part of that recall that will cause the issue you are having ....you might have to get it towed to the dealership....your vehicle requires 12.0 volts to operate all the computers anything under and all the systems shut down ...here is the actual recall IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL P60 / NHTSA 14V-634 This notice applies to your vehicle (VIN:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx). This interim notification letter is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Dear: (Name) Chrysler has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2011 through 2014 model year Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, Dodge Durango, Chrysler 300 and 2012 through 2014 model year JeepĀ® Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with a 160 amp alternator. The problem is... The alternator diodes in your vehicle may experience a rapid failure. Variability in the failure mode ranges from no output, reduced output, and/or a fully shorted to ground condition. Depending on the alternator failure mode and timing, vehicle electrical system voltage may drop to critical levels, disabling systems such as Antilock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Electronic Control Module (ECM), and/or the Central Body Controller (CBC). The driver will have limited or no detection of the alternator failing, which can result in vehicle shutdown while driving

Best Answer
4,035

Ohh and yes when disconnecting any battery always disconnect the ground first ...this will save your electronics in your vehicle from voltage spikes caused by removing or installing the positive side ...also with the ground still hooked up your battery is still live meaning anything that touches it metal will produce voltage

7,250

True ...My electronics background peeked through, I always did + first due to digital electronic ( Cmos/Discreet) using Neg logic. Hitting a live wire with a wrench was very uncommon

Hey thank you guys so much I appreciate yall

almost sure it s the alternator issue. Chrysler tells me they have no relacement parts,and have no timeline as to when they will... NICE!!

I'm just having the same problem with mine. just left the car at dealership last night so going early in the morning to see whats wrong. The whole car started to shut down but first it acted weird where heater came on on its own, radio will shut off while driving, etc... and then while I was driving off the parking lot, the whole car shut down completely. Kind of scary, could this happen while driving in highway??? I will have more details in a bit when i get back from dealership.

Just for the record, this happened to my wife today and it appears to be the recall that was supposed to have been fixed two weeks ago and wasn't because the dealer was too lazy to do so. Instead they fixed 1 recall and replaced the rear breaks that were less than a year old. What ticks me off is the perfectly good rotors they took off were drilled and slotted and they replaced with factory. At best it needed pads! This time we took it to a different dealer so I hope they don't try and pull some similar stuff. We'll see!

Sorry but I forget to mention that if this does happen the expense is on Chrysler including the tow to the dealer which would have passed $1500! At least there's that.

There was a few pieces that were for recall and replaced them for free. They put a new belt and charged me 46$. Now it runs smooth again.

20

I have just experienced the same problem with my 2912 dodge charger. However, the p60 recall is not associated with my VIN. Several owners of this model have gone through the same issues. I have owned a dodge since 2006 and the newer models present soooo much more problems. Currently, I am unhappy with the way dodge is addressing this issue and even more upset with the level of danger that this type of an issue put me and my family in. At this point, I will no longer continue my use in any further dodge business.

I have a 2013 dodge charger , while driving all my warning lights came on windshields wipers, heat full blast. Then it just died ,no brakes or sterring nothing!! Bad burnt plastic smell . luckily I didn't crash and was driving with window already down so I could get out . However my VIN number is not included in the P60 recall ? You need to file a complaint with the NHTSA , looks like Chrysler needs to expand their recall