2005 pt cruiser, timing belt while doing 75mph on freeway, does it have a reciproa=cating motor?

Asked by Jun 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM

261,465

Are you saying your timing belt broke while doing 75mph on the freeway and you want to know if you damaged the engine? The engine in the PT cruisers are interference engines, meaning that if your belt breaks, you can do internal damage. Best to have a competent mechanic you can trust to take a look at it to see if in fact there is damage.

I"ve never heard of a belt driven cam-engine,being an interference engine,but- I could be wrong..Best to have it checked out...I just finished a belt replacement,on a mitsubishi eclipse,which did the same thing(broke at freeway speeds) with no troubles of interference-Maybe it was luck....