How do you lock the trunk on a 1960 Cadillac?

Asked by Jul 27, 2012 at 09:08 PM

I opened the trunk with the key but when I close it it doesn't latch or lock, I don't think there's anything
wrong with the car, I just don't know how these old trunks work. I looked in the owners manual and it
talked about a button in the glove box, but there is no button in the glove box. What am I missing?

65,955

Maybe the latch got stuck. Try turning the key with the trunk lid open. Then try moving the latch by hand while holding the key in the full counterclockwise position. If this frees it, lube the latch with some WD-40 or other good quality lubricant. If the latch is broken or jammed you can probably find a good used one at the junkyard or ebay. HTH. -Jim

65,955

Oh & that button in the glove box is for the optional power trunk release. Your car may not have been ordered with that option. BTW it was vacuum operated in 1960. Not electric.