Timing chain out 2012 chevy equinox

30

Asked by May 16, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Timing chain went out while driving. Now need to
replace whole motor, anyone else have had to do
this? Out of warranty. Son bought car used. 63000
miles on car

79,215

Have you researched this? It is a common problem with these engines. The chain guides fall apart so the timing chain jumps time. I don't see where this is an interference engine to have caused damage. What makes you think you need to replace the engine?

30

Have done research and I found both ways sometimes the timing chain that needed to be replaced only and other times the engine needed to be replaced. Have had about two different dealerships and they both told me the same thing . Took out the valves and did some other damage as so they are telling me . with the timing belt going do not know if it makes a difference for how fast my wife was driving it she was going down the interstate at 75 miles an hour if that's got a difference of what it does when it breaks . Thank you for your response. also I'm working with GM and the guy at the shop is also working with GM to see what they can do.

79,215

Sounds like what you say if it took out the valves, engine needs replacing. Hopefully they can do something for you since it has only 63,000 miles on it.

10

2012 has been using to much oil been reporting now for 2 yrs. I found out my timing chains r gone. This thing is only 6 yrs old! Gm is just dismissing it. The oil consumption . And timing chain. I'm pissed off! It's the equinox lt.

10

Ya mine is just as bad. I have the 12. Using to much oil and now my timing chains. Come on , only 6 yrs old. And it's costing me a fortune. Gm just pushed it away. Did u get anywhere? Ty

30

Did not get anywhere with GM. $5400 for a new motor. After the motor was put in, recieved a letter stating this year vehicle may use excessive oil and should get it checked. Called GM and told them it was a little to late for that, customer service said ok, is there anything else we can do for you. Not much help.

30

Also go to the GM website and go under recalls and put your Vin number in and see what comes up. I did that and with the customer service rep at first, and nothing came up until after the fact. Once I kept calling, then they sent me a letter saying that was included

10

My 2012 Chevy Equinox has been using a lot of oil as well & the timing chain just went 12/28/17 I’ve had nothing but issues & more issues with my Equinox. Whenever there is an issue the dealership couldn’t find it. Of course it’s out of warranty. I contacted an attorney. If anyone would like to contact me in reference to this please do. I can give you my attorney’s info if it will help anyone out. Thanks & take care. Desiree desireeforbes@rocketmail.com

My 2012 Equinox has been sitting at dealer for 2 1/2 weeks. The timing chain broke and took out my Cylinder head and the estimate to fix both is $4100. I waited two weeks for GM Customer Care to tell me there is nothing they can do. Not even 6 years old and only 5 months past warranty date. Seems fishy with all the problems I have been reading about on the internet with others experiencing the same type of difficulties.

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. Excessive oil consumption and the timing chain broke and damaged my engine. Customer care wanted us to pay $400-$500 to get it diagnosed. Then said we are past our warranty. This is a known issue with the 2011-2012. I am beyond pissed off. Not sure wether to put another engine, repair it or sell it as is.