Timing chain out 2012 chevy equinox

120

Asked by May 16, 2017 at 10:12 AM

Timing chain went out while driving. Now need to
replace whole motor, anyone else have had to do
this? Out of warranty. Son bought car used. 63000
miles on car

87,035

Have you researched this? It is a common problem with these engines. The chain guides fall apart so the timing chain jumps time. I don't see where this is an interference engine to have caused damage. What makes you think you need to replace the engine?

120

Have done research and I found both ways sometimes the timing chain that needed to be replaced only and other times the engine needed to be replaced. Have had about two different dealerships and they both told me the same thing . Took out the valves and did some other damage as so they are telling me . with the timing belt going do not know if it makes a difference for how fast my wife was driving it she was going down the interstate at 75 miles an hour if that's got a difference of what it does when it breaks . Thank you for your response. also I'm working with GM and the guy at the shop is also working with GM to see what they can do.

87,035

Sounds like what you say if it took out the valves, engine needs replacing. Hopefully they can do something for you since it has only 63,000 miles on it.

20

2012 has been using to much oil been reporting now for 2 yrs. I found out my timing chains r gone. This thing is only 6 yrs old! Gm is just dismissing it. The oil consumption . And timing chain. I'm pissed off! It's the equinox lt.

20

Ya mine is just as bad. I have the 12. Using to much oil and now my timing chains. Come on , only 6 yrs old. And it's costing me a fortune. Gm just pushed it away. Did u get anywhere? Ty

120

Did not get anywhere with GM. $5400 for a new motor. After the motor was put in, recieved a letter stating this year vehicle may use excessive oil and should get it checked. Called GM and told them it was a little to late for that, customer service said ok, is there anything else we can do for you. Not much help.

120

Also go to the GM website and go under recalls and put your Vin number in and see what comes up. I did that and with the customer service rep at first, and nothing came up until after the fact. Once I kept calling, then they sent me a letter saying that was included

80

My 2012 Chevy Equinox has been using a lot of oil as well & the timing chain just went 12/28/17 I’ve had nothing but issues & more issues with my Equinox. Whenever there is an issue the dealership couldn’t find it. Of course it’s out of warranty. I contacted an attorney. If anyone would like to contact me in reference to this please do. I can give you my attorney’s info if it will help anyone out. Thanks & take care. Desiree desireeforbes@rocketmail.com

My 2012 Equinox has been sitting at dealer for 2 1/2 weeks. The timing chain broke and took out my Cylinder head and the estimate to fix both is $4100. I waited two weeks for GM Customer Care to tell me there is nothing they can do. Not even 6 years old and only 5 months past warranty date. Seems fishy with all the problems I have been reading about on the internet with others experiencing the same type of difficulties.

30

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. Excessive oil consumption and the timing chain broke and damaged my engine. Customer care wanted us to pay $400-$500 to get it diagnosed. Then said we are past our warranty. This is a known issue with the 2011-2012. I am beyond pissed off. Not sure wether to put another engine, repair it or sell it as is.

10

We have a 2012 Equinox we bought new. We had the same high oil consumption issue, here is resource to take to your dealership: https://gm.oemdtc.com/7458/16118-special- coverage-adjustment-excessive-engine-oil-consumption-2012-chevrolet-equinox-gmc- terrain This special adjustment coverage boosts to 7.6 years/120,000 miles for the issue. Ours had to have piston/rings replaced. Shortly after we had same issue, and turned out a ring had cracked so dealership had to do another complete rebuild. 4 months later and we are currently dealing with a timing chain issue, apparently it jumped one spot out of time, $850.00 dealership bill. We are currently working with GM Customer care to get this figured out. Good luck. Stay firm and be the squeaky wheel with these guys.

120

Unfortunately GM told me I do not fall under that category, they told me my car was not under that recall. timing chain went out, took out the Pistons and all that. needed a new engine. week after new motor put in, GM sent me a letter telling me I should get the car checked for excessive oil consumption. told him that was a little too late, since the engine was already toast. he said there was nothing they could do about it.

30

I just found out my 2011 chevy equinox engine needs to be replaced. I have 64,000 miles on it. I am trying to find out what is the best way to deal with this issue. They (the dealer) told me it will cost 6200.00 to fix. I will never ever buy another Chevy ever. I do not know what I am going to do.

120

Unfortunately GM knows about this problem and not doing a thing about it!

10

We have 2 Equinox vehicles; 2013 was a new vehicle, the timing chain broke after 150k Miles. Both have use excessive oil usage and thankfully traded the 2012 back in. Guess we traded it in just in time. The 2013 Equinox? May just have to voluntarily surrender this vehicle since GM is not backing up their vehicles.

10

Wow scared now after reading these reviews.I am thankful I bought a extended warrenty.2012 timing chain with a cam shaft sensor.They are paying for the damage.Scared now to keep the vehicle due to another problem.Mine has 71,000 miles.I am pretty upset.Only had vehicle 6 months

30

For those that had the timing chain/ engine repaired or replaced. What did the dealership charge? I am in Ontario, Canada. Thanks!

120

$5400 for new crate motor

20

Ive got a story! Bought a 2011 Equinox with approx 140k on it. Drove fine for a week then the timing chain issue happened. Took it in, repaired it. Have had oil consumption issues since day one. Timing chain has streched out for the second time within two years and within 0k miles....So I am faced again with repairing for another $2500

30

You can call GMC, they have something where the dealers will cover certain damages done to your vehicle if you can prove it has an oil consumption issue. Call GMC customer service they can help you.

120

Tried that, they basically told me tuff luck. They were a joke to deal with.

I miss my Ford Ranger that had 323,000 miles in it, I had an accident bought a brand new 2011 Equinox Always kept up the service ,put 189,000 miles on it, The dealership serviced this vehicle last month, I have been complaining about excess oil consumption for some time. I never researched this topic. Tuesday started up Betty Blue. My wife said what's that sound, now I hear the sound of the cash register at the Dealership, over $6,500 with Labor to have a rebuilt Engine installed with 3 yr/ 100,000 mile warranty. Now the Dealership called and said We need to pay for the shipping to have the Engine Delivered. Nickle and Dime us to the max. We are currently trying to sell and buy a different home, so we can't have another payment. I have known there was a problem for some time. We had the rough idling for a couple of years, and were always told that it was a normal sound. Integrity and Honesty should be part of a business model. Will not buy a Chevy again, I don't care how good their new commercials are looking. Ok , done venting

10

Coalboss... I'm having same issues, but not one can find out the problem. All that is posted today, I'm having issues with. 65,000 miles and its a headache. I've paid lots of money this passed month and the car is still doing the same thang. I had an 03 code which was cam selnoid replaced, misfired, found rock in rotor,need master cylinder and booster. It idol up high and go low, feel like the transmission is slipping. I've been to all these shops and no one knows what the problem is on my 2011 Equinox. I'm so dang sad. I don't know what else to do but get out of it..

10

I’ve bought new 2010 Chevy equinox and maintained it. Had the first problem with fuel leaking into to oil. That was fixed under warranty. Now at 148000 miles I have loss of power and was just told would need timing chain as it has stretched. The oil consumption started along with the problems. When this all started I then read the forums and GM knows about the problems but I have not seen a fix yet. Not sure it’s worth fixing or even buying another GM or Chevy vehicle in the future. Frustrating that with so many cars with the same problem that GM would just make it right to keep customers.

10

All the reviews that are oil and timing chain issue's the company knows about the issues They need a recall on these vehicles.

I have a 2010 Equinox. I have had so many issues with this car. It has been making a rattle sound almost like a Diesel engine. My husband told me when he changed my oil that it was a quart low but there isn’t a leak. I took it to my mechanic today because the check engine light came on with a knock sensor code. He told me it was the chain that needed to be replaced. He did some research and found a special coverage adjustment issued by GM. If your 2010-2011 Equinox is less than 10 years old and under 120,000 miles they will replace it plus a bunch of other things. The problem is mine has 150,000 and the dealerships I talked to told me I would have to come out of pocket for the repairs. The crazy thing is this “recall” is not made public. You have to find it yourself and it is usually too late! Google search-special coverage adjustment 12313C. All the info is there. I will never buy another Chevy again. In the past 2 years I have spent over $2000 in repairs that were not regular maintenance...which I do also!

Corporate won’t help out at all 2011 Chevy equinox 80k miles and with timing chain fell apart engine is totaled now buying new engine for 6k not happy with GM no warning or aware of replace timing chain at a certain mileage happened out of nowhere! 2018

Also now out of warranty

10

I got the 2011 Terrain as a certified used for the fuel economy and because it was relatively new. (<30,000 miles when I bought it.) I was in college at the time and the reported fuel economy more than made up for the difference in payment from my last vehicle. I soon realized that the fuel economy wasn't what they reported. With perfect driving, maximizing the miles per gallon, I could get it up to an average of 29-30mpg on the highway. With any level of normal driving it quickly dropped to 24-26mpg, if not lower. But this was still about double what my last vehicle got, so ok I do most of my own basic maintenance, and I don't use cheap products. For oil changes, I use full synthetic with a extra guard filter and change the oil between 3,500-5000 miles, depending on my schedule. If I ever hit 5,000 miles, and don't have time, that's when I take it in to whatever quick lube shop will get it done the soonest afternoon I have available, usually to Wal-mart and I get groceries while I wait. I haven't had any major problems with my vehicles since I started consistently taking care of them myself, about 10 years now. My timing guides broke at only 79,000 miles! I was at just over 5,000 miles since my last oil change and have the paperwork to prove it since I have been particularly busy lately. The dealership told me that there was practically no oil left in my engine. Then the dealership told me the cheapest repair was to replace the engine, and that corporate would not cover my fix because they could not do an oil consumption test now that the engine won't run. It's going to cost me $7,000 to get my vehicle fixed, which I must have to commute to work 30 miles away. I don't have $7,000 and I may lose my job if I can't find the money or a way to finance it by the time they get it fixed this week. This is unacceptable. I'm pissed. If you are too, come take it to them with me! I created a facebook group which you can find here below. Please come tell your story and then take post a link on twitter @GMC with the hashtag #GreataMericanCompanyNoLonger https://www.facebook.com/groups/174877126561662/ And repost that link to their twitter feed and on their facebook page every day that you are paying for their lemon of an engine. All stories posted will be offered to any legal team willing to take up this suit as well.

10

Checking oil consumption. Stretched timing chain, $1500 to replace. Hope engine is ok GM gave me 10% of repair. $150.

10

I found a lawyer to take my case. GM keeps saying there's nothing wrong with my car. This lawyer is out of Dallas. I'm in Lubbock, so if anyone need information let me know. I got a letter from his office when I first purchase the car. He said the car or check equinox was a lemon and if I needed help to call and I did a month ago. I turned in all my repair receipts and I don't have to pay anything. GM wouldn't help.