V8 swap s-10

Asked by Feb 10, 2017 at 03:29 AM

I have a 98 s10 ls 3dr 5 speed with a 4.3 vortec
that has a hole in the block....neighbor gave me a
383 stroker out of his 1970 nova. He rebuilt the
whole motor less than a month ago.
My questions are as follows.
1.How hard would it be to put the 383 in my s10?
2. what would I need to buy? ....
And 3.where would I buy it ..
I'm used to imports I.e Honda's and have never
worked on anything like this and am branching up
big boy toys. Any useful and helpful advice is
greatly appreciated
On a side note I don't plan on having a.c or power
steering I never liked power steering. Unless it's
beneficial

17,725

You can still have power steering if the motor does come with it or if you want it, I have a friend that has put more than a few v8's in s10's although it is the older body style he likes and the 383 is basically the 350 block, But there are kits for this, I will have to ask him but I think he was using one from summit and one from s10v8.com and the URL copy & paste it: http://s10v8.com/kits/s10-v8-2wd-conversion-kit-2.html.

17,725

Basically the frame mounts are the same if it has the 4.3l since it is based on the 350 v8. all the kit is to make everything else fit. shorter headers, mount conversion for engine side of mounts, radiator, smaller starter ect. of course you will not need a engine controller ECM but the newer model s10 may still need a module to run the trans so you may also want to think about that if the 5 speed has any sensor that needs the ecu for it. But the kit came with a conversion manual which I believe can be bought before doing the conversion so you can decide if its for your not.

17,725

Here is the one from summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-44061/overview/make/chevrolet/model/s10

17,725

Oh yea, if it gives the option for ceramic coated headers upgrade to it or add this before you get the natural headers which are not painted and come with rust specs, either way rust in days and look bad.

17,725

You will want to get the kit that includes the oil pan as some do not include it so if the url's i listed do not include oil pan then look the site over for the correct kit as you will need it unless you have skills with redesign and welding, it is possible with out it but its already done and is better than the old pan anyway.

17,725

After looking back at this summit kit URL above it is the wrong kit for you as its oil pan is not for stroker clearance so again look summit site over for the correct kit. And look at the block to see if its the original 1970 block as after 1978 the rear seals is a 1 piece seal but this kit or the kit you need if its 1970 block needs the 2 piece but confirm first.

17,725

I'd call summit and ask them for the correct oil pan p/n for that stroker to s10 swap you need and your specific build and have them adjust the price if need be on the kit to include it instead of the one listed if none of the kits are for stroked motors.