I have a 1991 Chevrolet Kodiak, it has set for approx 3 years when started recently the L front brake locked up. I replaced the Caliper and the brake will not release until the bleeder is opened ? Hood Clean fluid is coming out ? any Ideas??

Asked by Nov 09, 2016 at 04:07 AM

77,735

Possible a bad brake hose to that caliper, so replace the both brake hoses on front if it still sticks then it is possible that it has stuck check valve in the distribution box or if equipped the antilock system and bad RABS valve. When sitting that long water builds up in the fluid and starts rusting componets internally, so be aware that you may have a real can of worms here with the braking system, the lines could rust through, the master/booster system could start failing, other brake componets could start to fail. I don't know how large the rig is but you need a reliable braking system on any vehicle that is driven on the highways.

This is a 1 &1/2 ton truck, also the Power steering pump growls on the 6 cyl Cat engine and the Aux pump light is on.

77,735

Flush the power steering fluid and then add some power punch to it, read the directions on how much based on the fluid capacity. The Aux pump light means that the electric motor has quit working, do you hear an electric motor sound if you push on the brakes with the key on and engine off? It could just that sitting has got to it and it will also have to be replaced. Sorry this sounds like it is going to be a real bear to get it all straightened out.

Thanks ! I will ?? some friends and the dealership about this, but will replace the hose to the L front Caliper at least and possibly the 1 up to the M Cyl as well. The Truck is a long time buddy of mine's and he want's to sell it but not put much in it, Still could be considered a "Safety Problem"in my Opinion ! Thanks again, Bruce Clingerman