Can you bypass the crank sensor?

Asked by Sep 25, 2016 at 06:31 PM

Both our 86 and 96 chevys have 350 engines, the 86 has no crank sensor, the 96 does. Is there a way to bypass the crank sensor when we swap motors?

24,155

Not without converting the rest of the electrical systems & sensors and those parts that will not accept the newer sensors as-well and putting the 86 computer on it. its the computer system that needs it.

Put 4.3 out of astro van older model it don't have crank sensor put it in 2003 Chevy s10 that had 4.3 with the crank sensor will it run is their a bypass or can I ad the sensor to the older motor swap front timing covers maybe it is 4.3 vortex old one got spider unit injectors can I run trottle body one , or swap to my original heads intake , distributor on older ,4.3 will that work my old heads is all good cracked block on the one that went in it

24,155

Hello GuruYP6YV this a very old thread and few will ever see your question here, copy & paste your question to the question board under ask a question tab. Thanks, that being said I know there are some options and I have not done exactly what you doing with those years, so I may give short non-descriptive answers like yes you can run a simple ECM to control fuel injection and spark such as in a racing application, may or may not need to revert back to HEI prior to 1988 & throttle body with stand alone or even old style carb and intake for carb. Also your newer computer can be re-programmed at custom shops to be stand alone to do away with the theft system and revert back to older style and use stand alone or program in the stand alone for your specific needs. But like I said re-post your question so other guru's can chime in their opinions as on may have done just what your asking about with that specific range of years and model motors/makes ect.

24,155

A unit like a MSD ignition control that does not use the crank sensor to control spark may be all you need. But the 03 computer will likely need to be re-programmed to be stand alone which may can be used without the MSD or as a cheaper alternative to a full re-programming and will give better results as far as power goes. People do this all the time mostly for racing non road use as in most states there is a law saying older engine can not be used in newer cars. I would call a re-programmer custon shop for your computer ECM and give specific details as to your options as part you have on hand or are willing to purchase and get them to give you a estimate to stand alone re-programming or up-grading to MSD or other stand alone units offering fuel injection and or spark without the crank sensor input and find out which is the best option for you.

Will a 98 s10 start without the bold that holds the crank sensor on

24,155

Sometimes the crankshaft main bearings wear and let it touch the sensor and it needs a spacer/washer on the sensor, but you should see marks on the sensor if this is happening.