81 chevy wont start

30

Asked by Jul 17, 2016 at 01:10 PM

In the morning it turns on good but when it gets to
running temp it sounds like the battery is dead and
not start

18,830

Check to make sure the coolent level is not low.

30

Ok I will do I look around online and some people said the starter is getting heat soaked but I put a heat blanket on it but still doing the same thing

18,830

When they say it is getting heat soaked means the starter is getting to hot and needs to be cooled down. If exhaust runs near starter there should be a heat shield between the starter and exhaust to keep the starter from getting to hot from being to close to exhaust.

30

Ok my coolant level is good what else do you think it could be

95,195

Still sounds like a hot starter problem, did you replace the starter when you put the heat shield on? once they start doing this it warps the starter main body when it gets hot so the old starter will still do the same thing once it get warmed up by just the engine blocks normal heat. I did have a customer that had a motorhome that keep eating starters like this even though it had heat shielding, he put on one of those high torque mini starters as an experiment and last I heard it is still on there and cranks it hot or cold. Might be worth looking into.

30

No I didn't replace it but I am going to look in to it thank for the help

67,465

If you have aftermarket headers the pipes could be running closer to the starter then the original exhaust manifold. This will heat up the starter. One like tennisshoes described should work. You can also load test the battery. Sometimes batteries don't just die. They can be sneaky. Also check the ignition timing. If it's off that can cause a slow crank when hot condition. HTH. -Jim

30

I have the stock headers i have a heat blanket on the starter already but still no go I wonder if I need to re wire the wires going to the starter