I have a 1982 Chevy C10 Silverado and to get it to start I pump the gas about 35 times. Starts and just dies. After about 3 tries of pumping got it to remain running. What's the problem?

Asked by Mar 22, 2016 at 12:04 AM

What can I do to fix the problem? I don't want to get stuck somewhere
because it won't restart. Does this have to do with dual gas tanks and gas
getting to the carb? Has a new fuel pump and the carb was just rebuilt. Just
got it out of the shop where they adjusted the idle up and fixed the choke.

73,655

Sounds like the choke is not working, take it back to who worked on it.

Ok, I'll try that first. Any other suggestions if that doesn't resolve the problem?

73,655

If you are pumping it like 35 times, the motor would be totally flooded, and would not start. Almost sounds like the carb is not filling up with fuel, or something is wrong with the carb. Maybe it is flooding out. Maybe the fuel filter is plugged. Hard to say without more detail.

This is from a cold start. Nope, that doesn't flood the engine either. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the gas flowing to the carb because the carb was just rebuilt. I was told that the carb has a little fill reservoir and I pump it to get the fuel in but once that fuel is used up the truck dies. So it takes 3 attempts before there's enough gas to keep the engine running. It's dual tanks, 350 v8, and has 57000 miles on it. Runs great after it gets started but it's just getting it to start and remain running.

73,655

Ya, sounds like a fuel issue, didn't mention if the fuel filters, if more than one, where changed out. May want to check the fuel pressure up at the carb, should be like 4 to 6.5 lbs. I know you have a new fuel pump, but you gotta check, doesn't guarantee that it is good. Also there may be a problem in the switching between the fuel tanks that is blocking the flow of fuel.

Ok. Thank you, I'll check into the fuel filter and perhaps it's bad gas or water in the tank.