1955 Chevy six cylinder won't start

Asked by Sep 18, 2015 at 03:49 PM

The coil won't discharge when distributor rotates, but I can fire the coil when I
brake the points with a screw driver

7,885

does the rotor have carbon tracks on it and is the ignition gap set right

No carbon tracks. Gap at 16k

7,885

not the ohms the space between the ignition points

16k of an inch

72,145

Sound like the cam on the distributor shaft is not opening the points correctly, probably need to take the distributor out and give it a good inspection, probably worn out. Gap setting should be .018 but that is only .002 smaller gap. Are the points & condenser new? And like crumbob was asking if you see carbon, burn spots, look under the rotor for a burnt spot. We just need more info

72,145

.016 is .002 smaller gap from .018 just to be clear...

More info tomorrow, raining cats and dogs here now