my 1978 chevy pick up ran out of gas and now even filled up with gas it wont stay running

Asked by Aug 21, 2015 at 10:18 AM

It may have picked up a bunch of crap off the bottom of the tank and clogged a fuel filter or maby even the pump. If you remove the fuel line befor the carb and crank it over for a second you will know. Be carefull and remove the coil wire from the cap because if it did start for a few seconds thats a lot of fuel and big fire.I always run an inline filter on my 72 befor and after the pump.

Good info MrFixit1967. Especially the part about preventing a fire. I agree on all your points. That mechanical fuel pump may have even pulled up dirt, and even water that may have been in the tank, from condensation over the years, in a 38 year old truck...the water sinks to the bottom and stays there. If it has an OEM carburetor there is a screen where the fuel line connects to carb, and even if fuel still pumps out of fuel line, the wire-mesh screen is on the carburetor side, and must be pulled out to clean or replace. But I really have a notion it's water that got sucked up from bottom of tank. Buy some alcohol-base water remover additive and add to gas, something like HEET or STP gas treatment. I don't usually suggest additives for fuel, but in this one I do.

I have a 1976 Ford F-250 that does not get driven much. Not near as often as it should be. But I keep it topped off with gas all the time. Where I live there is a tremendous change in temperature day and night, at night is goes to the low 50's, even in summer and maybe 90°+ in daytime. Condensation is a real problem. Matter of fact last night it got down to 48° And these old trucks we have are not sealed, they are vented, no charcoal canister EVAP system

I agree with all you guys answers and have to add, the water thing, use a isopropyl type additive not a methanol base. Isopropyl actually breaks down the water. Also, may have to prime to get gas up to the carb.