BBC 454 help needed!!

Asked by Aug 07, 2014 at 02:48 PM

I have been looking for answers on this motor and set up for weeks and still don't know anything about it. I hope you guys on here can help.........
I have a 454 that was in a 1984 pace motorhome. cast# 14015445 behind the flywheel it has the hi perf stamp. The heads are the 120cc peanut ports cast# 346236. this should be the 2 bolt main block and everything is stock. and clue what the stock horsepower rating is???

Also I have a preformer2.0 intake, and a edelbrock rollercam set up I am thinking of putting on this engine. plus a set of hooker headers... And ideas on my increase in horsepower?                I would appreciate any feedback on this guys. Thanks Kevin

John Carson

For what you truck engine will gain in HP and fuel economy, give Edelbrock customer service a call. They designed the intake and have all the test specs. They also can recommend the correct cam to mate up to it and what you can expect from it. What are you putting this motor into? A sports car, truck, RV? For a working truck, and or RV you need a cam that gives low end torque and power with mid range economy. The truck 454 engine was between 230 to 250 HP. There are two different versions of a GM truck engine so use the block numbers to know if you have a raised deck and cam or not.