How to use a laptop to scan OBD II codes on my cars?

Asked by Apr 13, 2012 at 04:48 AM

I have a handful of laptops i never use, and my OBD scanner died on me recently. I have seen shops that use a laptop for diagnostics on cars. Is it possible for me to do this myself without spending thousands? How do I go about it?

6,895

yes and no dealers have a better system by far. I use to use WI-tech from chrysler and star mobile. You can buy an adapter on ebay to do the basics and check a few sensors here and there, but nothing like you could with a solus from snap-on if you have around 16,000 dollars to burn. The kit on ebay is anywhere from 20-80 bucks depending on who and what you want to do with it.

www.xcardiag.com/ has a USB OBDII connector for a very low price. It comes with software for reading, erasing, live data monitoring, and freeze frame snapshot view. Maybe more, that's all I can think of right now, check it out.

40

http://www.xcardiag.com

p0171