My husband put regular gas in my 2004 Audi a4 Quattro 3.0 and now my car will not turn over. I since went and purchased octane booster and premium gas and put it in and so far no luck. Should I wait?

Asked by May 30, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Does it take time to have the mixture
of the gasses to settle and mix for
me to be able to start my car?

Help please

78,105

Fuel won't have anything to do with the engine turning over, turning over or cranking is electrical, turn on the headlights, are they bright or dim? If dim check battery voltage. If bright then, With the headlights on try cranking the engine, do the headlights go out or glow dimly?

The headlights are fine. All the lights in the car come on. The radio plays. The headlights do not dim or go out when I crank it

This issue just happened when he put 87 gas in the car. Will the octane boost and the premium gas help once it settles?

78,105

So it cranks fine but won't run, do you have spark, fuel pressure and flow?

Could putting that low grade gas in my car cause a fuse to blow dealing with the starting of the car? I'm just totally lost and my car is in a not so good neighborhood stuck right now

Seems like no fuel pressure

I can push the gas pedal to the ground and it will not rev

78,105

Did it run out of fuel just before this? If you run a fuel tank below 1/4 tank you risk burning out the fuel pump. Lower octane fuel will not blow a fuse, but an overheated fuel pump can fry fuel pump relays. If it is in a bad area and you can't get going I would recommend having it towed to your favorite repair shop as it is most likely a failed fuel pump.

It wasn't completely out of fuel. There was about just 1/4 tank and then my husband put in the low grade fuel. We went out and the car was running fine for about 45 min of travel and then it just started acting funny like hesitating to go until it then just shut off. So me putting the high grade fuel in and the octane booster in just might not help if I let it sit overnight? Another thing I was worried about is if I flooded it by pressing on the gas pedal over and over?

78,105

The fuel and the booster mix rather quickly so I don't believe that is your problem. You can activate the "clear flood" mode on your car by holding down the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine, do not pump the throttle, if it is flooded this mode will clear it out in just about 5 to 10 seconds of cranking, if it still won't fire up it is still possible the fuel pump just failed or you got some crud in the fuel filter blocking the flow.

101,655

If the vehicle turns over but does not start or stay started. Sounds like you might have got some bad gas. If that the case and it was not that much put in. The other gas you added may help. Octane boost wont do anything to help with bad gas. But sea foam or sta bil will help your vehicle burn the bad fuel out. But this is just a guess as to what's going on with it. Do you have towing on your insurance? If so do as my wife does when hers acts up or even a flat. She has it towed to the house. My insurance always pays the bill.

101,655

But I agree with tennisshoes. Could very well be something else.

I thank you both for some kind of insight to my issue. I will try and start my car in the morning, if no luck towing is next. I just got it out if the shop for the radiator I just hope there is nothing major going on. Do you suggest I try the sea foam or stabil first? I have no idea what they are or where they go but is that something I should look into?

101,655

Honestly I would just try to start it in the morning. If bad gas was put in it it should separate enough by in the morning to start. Adding the other additives I feel would be just throwing good money at a guess. If it doesn't start have it taken to where they can find the exact problem and fix it for you.

78,105

Yes I totally agree with dandyoun

Thank you guys. I appreciate you guys taking the time in helping me out.

101,655

Oh and if it does start and run just remember that it has not cured itself. You will still need to try and figure out what's going on with it before it lets you down again.

78,105

Yep and when you do, could you let us know what you found?