AMC

55

Asked by Oct 08, 2008 at 01:02 AM

Who bought out AMC? Or did they just go bankrupt?

85

amc was bought by jeep jeep used amc enigine till 1992 after 92 the started using chrysler shit i think amc engine are the best

545

they guy above me isn't exactly right so i thought i'd give you a little better answer.....jeep was part of AMC, not the other way around. AMC was kind of a clearing house for chrysler GM and Ford in the 70's and 80's. they were an indipendent company but they used many domestic parts like chrysler transmissions, ford starters, and GM steering colums, for example. The company started to suffer in the late 70's/early 80's when they were making cars like pinto's and gremlins. so CHRYSLER purchased all the AMC shares it could from independent holders by 1987, then putchase the remaining 40 some percent from renault (french company) again in 1987. AMC was pretty much dismembered by the chrysler corp with the exception of the jeep line which chrysler still offers today. a few people will say that the AMC line was changed to Eagle, and hung around till the late 90's...but the talon, and vision, and all eagle models were just rebadged mitsubishi models. so official answer...bought out by chrysler and dismantled by 1987

25

to add on too johnny's note, jeeps were still using AMC Engines till 1994. at least in the grand cherokees. the grand cherokee were designed by AMC jeep and when chrysler bought out amc they wait a few years to release it because they were poushing the Mini Van. so the 93 and 94 cherokees are AMC built. then chylser took over the design and put there engines in starting in 95

25

daimler-chrysler bought out AMC is 1988 JUST for the Jeep. they did continue using AMC in the jeep until '94, but discontinued all other AMCs and just sold off the ones they had.

545

just disreguard that last girls post and read mine.lol.....daimler chrysler didn't even exist till 1997, so it was exclusively chrysler that acquired the jeep brand in 1997... and in the past several years cerebus capital management purchased 80% of chrysler from daimler, killing "daimler chrysler" so that doesn't even exist anymore either...currently, 55% of chrysler is now owned by the uaw,5 % by the us gov, 2% by canadian gov,30 % recently by the fiat group of italy...and the rest of the scraps are shareholders and remaining shares owned by daimler...daddy works for chrysler...don't test me on this.lol

545

type error..1987 chrysler acquired jeep...1997 is when daimler was created

25

I'm holding the AMC book in my hands. and my fiance's dad worked for AMC

5

Just to add: Chrysler bought/killed AMC, but they spun off the EAGLE model (the only car AMC was making in 87/88) into a whole new brand. the AWESOME AMC Eagle is the grandfather to the Eagle Talon, Summit, and whatever else...

the amc eagle was basicly the dieing brother to the cheroke. the eagle was the first unibody 4x4. the talon and other cars with the eagle name were from mistubishi. chrysler bought amc for jeep and then basterdized the amc cars until 1988. then they turned the eagle name into a car line twin from missubishi. thats why theres the, the summit,the premeir and so on. the amc eagle is a great car. i got one.

thats why theres the talon, the summit, the preimerand so on. the amc eagle is a great car. i got one. correction to my last post.