1998 Infinity I30

5

Asked by May 14, 2016 at 06:39 PM

Runs poorly, Bad gas millage. Replaced air and fuel filter, Used fuel treatment,
Checked plugs . Found what looks like a vac line open, but can not find where
it goes. The car shudders when trying to keep it at a constant speed. Check
engine light was on when we bought it, I reset it after doing the work, hasn t
come back on. Any ideas ????

12,625

Lots of ideas, But Have it read for codes, even if the check engine light is NOT on the computer will have stored information and codes. Discount auto stores will read codes for no fee. write them down.How many miles on it?

5

Took it to O Rileys and they said they can not run it if the check engine light is not on.

5

Over 22,0000 or so.

12,625

Sorry to hear OReillys doesn't know how or is not allowed to check the OBDII port unless the light is ON. This can be done in under 2 minutes. I suggest another store call around.

Best Answer
5

Ok. Will do . Thank you.

5

I just got back from Auto Zone, they got me some codes. The first is miss fire, I know what that means, but they were unable to tell me how to test the ignition coils with a ohm meter. Any advice ? Thank you very much for all your help.

12,625

Hi, audreysduane 3.0 V6 ignition coil on plug resistance. Use your multimeter In order to test the coil, take it out. Measure the resistance in the following manner:~~ POS to 1 and NEG to 2 -- should show infinite resistance~~ POS to 2 and NEG to 1 -- should show continuity but not zero ohms~~ POS to spark plug and NEG to 1 -- should show infinite resistance~~ POS to 1 and NEG to spark plug -- should show infinite resistance~~ Connector number 3 is a trigger and is not measurable.~~Connector----|_3_|-2-|_1_|--- If any coil shows otherwise than it should be replaced. If I remember correctly, the resistance between pin 1 and 2 was about 16- 21 ohms on a '98 The misfire code should have told which cylinder # misfire

5

Thank you !! I did ask them if they could tell me which one it was, and they said no. But that is ok. This is the closest I have come. I love working on the older cars ( 80s and older. ) This all pointed to a dead cylinder, but I couldn t get anyone till now to point me in the right direction. I will keep you updated. THANKS again !!!

5

I tested the first coil, and it tested bad. I replaced it, and it is running better already ! Thank you so much for your time and help !! Keep up the good work !!!!