After extensive repairs, 2004 Buick Rendezvous still dies

Asked by Dec 20, 2013 at 11:46 AM

My son bought his 2004 Rendezvous back in October. Ran beautifully for a week or so,
On the way back to his home in another state, it ran hot. He nursed it along until he
got home  and took it in for repair.  The radiator and thermostat were replaced. Shortly
after that it began to over heat again. Took it back in and was told he needed a new
head gasket.  Had it replaced and engine tuned up. Mechanic told him he needed a
new motor because the antifreeze and gunk from the cooling system had run down into
the motor and ruined it. The engine was replaced. The car would die when he turned
sharply and sometimes at a stop sign or red light. No problem restarting it, just put it in
park, turned the key, and it started up quickly and smoothly. His mechanic said
sometimes in installing a new engine there is a problem with the vacuum system, so
he told him to bring it in. The mechanic put plastic shielding around the crank sensor
wire, replaced the IAC, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the air and fuel filters (the air
filter was dirty, the fuel filter was completely clogged), and he replaced  a hose on a
purge valve that had collapsed. The car is running much better, but will still die while
stopped at a stop sign or red light. This has happened only a few times since all the
repairs, but often enough to know something else should be done. The mechanic is
stymied. As you can tell my son nor I are "car people." We have no idea what to try
next and he has put so much into repairs cannot afford much more. Can you help?

Wow, a new headgasket , then a new engine? Probably overkill. None the less. Have another shop look it over. Your pissing away money at your current shop. Still sounds like a vacuum issue. Could be a $20 fix. Hard to stay why it is stalling, could be many things. Did he clean the MAF? Any Check engine lights on? Turning from side to side sounds like maybe the power steering pump is putting a drag on the motor stalling it? Since you still have the issue, this is one area I would look at, all the pulleys and the belts too. But then again, it's only an educated guess. Good Luck!

Stalling while slowing to turn or stop is typically the signs of bad iac, dirty throttle body plate or vacuum leak. Test you iac. Turn sharply idle should go up then back down when you straighten the wheels. Turn ac on idle should go up then back down when you turn ac off. If it's not doing this inspect iac, it's harness, throttle plate and if all that looks good I would replace the iac. You can get a new one that is bad. I but a new one on my wife's car and within a week it was acting up again. Tried everything cause I new that the iac was new. As a last resort I replaced it again and now it's working great. Is check engine light on? If so what are the codes?

Thank you both for your quick and helpful answers! Tom, as my name suggests, I am not sure if I got all of the things in the correct order. When he finished giving me the list, my notes were in places a little confusing, so don't blame the mechanic--the mistake may be mine. Dandyoun, he will try the tests you suggest and then discuss it with his mechanic. According to this website replacing the IAC should not be terribly expensive and I would think worth the try before anything else is done. Have asked him to post his results here when he gets through. Again, thanks to you both for your quick response and helpful answers. Feels good to at least have a direction to try.