1999 vectra B 1.8 sxi ecotec saloon limp mode help

Asked by Sep 17, 2016 at 09:40 PM

My car will not rev by 3000 rpm and will not go over 65 at 3000 rev it splutters and drops in acceleration until I change gear I have been on a few forums which all point to maf or throttle body I changed both and also the coil pack and sparks cleaned air filter but to no avail I see 80% of these forums are saying mechanics struggle to find cause my parents just died and had to get a car to travel about to sort stuff so got this car on gumtree bt now the guy isnt answering so dunno if it was a fault or not PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

9,550

Is the check engine light on? Do you here any vacuum leaks(hissing)? Check all electrical connections.

9,550

Check the spark plug wires for arcing misfiring. Check al fuses under dash and under hood. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the CPU. Get the CPU scanned at a auto parts store and make note of those if any and have the CPU codes cleared. Let us know if any codes were there and also get as much information about the issue from them as you can and inspect all possible reasons for that code to set before replacing it because it could be good. There are many reasons a code can set all while the sensor is good. Has the Cats been checked & how many miles is on it?

9,550

You said you cleaned air filter is that K&N reusable filter? If its a normal paper filter blowing it out is not a good idea and just needs replaced.

9,550

You can use a mist bottle to lightly spray water around the vacuum lines and components and motor while listening for vacuum leaks.

9,550

I would get a repair book and a voltmeter and check all the sensors and trouble shoot every possible think the book shows you how to before spending any more on parts that do not fix it.

9,550

A good cheap voltmeter will work just fine but may need a set of wire piercers to go with it.