Is the Smart Car a good car for a teenager that is about to be 16 for his first car, he said that "the car is great and that it is eco friendly."

25

Asked by May 03, 2008 at 06:58 PM

My son wants one of those cool new  Smart car and i wanted to know if it was a good car for his 16 birthday?

45

it is kind of small, but it is one that I feel is truly green - the disposal issues with the batteries in those Hybrids turns me off to them it seems to have good crash ratings, but I'd still make sure you put him through some good driver's education and training programs to keep him out of those situations in the first place an alternative is really to look at older compact type stuff made in the 90s, they get as good or better mileage than the Smart and other hybrids and cost tons less... stuff like the Civic, Protege, etc...

965

the smart car is a great GOLF CART :)

500

gas wise and saftey they are truly great cars but if he's turning 16 you need to think about his sex life... no girl would ever put out in that little car... not to be rude but think what you would say to your parents if they gave you that car... that car is a huge cockblock

2,010

Dave your comment has some meaning to it...lets be real...how many of us had our first experience in a nice sized car...hand up...come on...don't be cheap...buy the kid a real car...

40,335

I would get something like a Dodge Caliber, etc., which is pretty good gas mileage and also roomy enough to be a haul-around car for when he has things to move to college, etc. The new Ford Focus and Fusion are nice, too.

2,010

ok now we are talking about something with a little leg room....

500

ya but now were talkinig about a ford product... you might as well get him a tow truck cause thats how he will get around.. ford suck.. again were thinking about this kid hope and dreams to get some.. let the kid pick it out.. and if he picks a ford.. beat the kid like a redheaded step child.. chevy trucks.. muscle, good on gas, roomy, and the bed in the back to do his thang.. giggity giggity

7,565

It's a go-kart and not in a good way. They're too expensive for what you get, and lets not forget the fact that the thing is tiny, as in your 16 yr old who doesn't know yet how to stay out of a trucks blind spot, will end up a spot on the road. It's like a motorcycle without agility for christ's sakes. If he wants something eco friendly, get a bloody VW diesel and convert it to run on vegetable oil. Fact is every teenager drives badly... I hate to admit it but it's true. It's not an age thing so don't think we should raise the driving age (dumbest idea I've ever heard), but the fact is you need a significant amount of driving experience. Until he's had enough experience to drive and think about what other drivers are seeing and not just the 10 feet in front of his own bumper, you should make sure he has something substantial around him. I don't know m8, I would recommend against it for safety, practicality, and costs sake. My $0.02

25

I bought one when I get my permit and the girls LOVE it. I highly recommend it.

855

First off, Where can I sign the adoption papers? My parents never bought me a car... I had to buy my own... my first car... $200 Ford Escort with 400,000 Kms on it... and you know what... I loved that car... I think for his first car, you should consider buying used... becuase first off... if you are buying it... he won't have the same respect for it as if he had to buy it himself... so expect it to get damaged, wrecked or worse... Smartcars are pretty well built like a Rollcage on wheel from what I hear... their safety is good, but I don't think they're worth the price becuase there are so many other options here's a good used mercedes... 1985 300 D Turbo. My buddy has one, and they only Modern toyota that beats him out for fuel milage is the hybrid. They're a tank, and they're roomy as hell, the trunk is huge, and they're nice looking cars. Parts are usually cheap straight from the dealer as well! ( so you can tell the build quality is tops if the dealer still stocks parts for 80's models...) (I reccomend the Turbo model, becuase the non- turbo has no power, and if he got into trouble, he won't have the power to get out of it...) You want my opinion... Smart car = Bad idea for a first car.

25

im 16 and i dont know if i would recommend it. they may get good gas millage but all around their is better cars, but it depends what kind of kid he is.im a gear head and i like to go fast and its all about performance and quality. i dont know much about this car, but he is a review i googled -Very quick, responsive steering -Parking nirvana -More seating space than a Ferrari -Standard electronic stability control Dislikes: -On the highway, it’s a penalty box -Busy, bumpy ride -Disappointing fuel economy -Lacks passing power at cruising speeds i would have to agree with the others tho you have to get something the ladies like haha mainly you have think about what you want for you kid and if it would be something he would too

35

i suggest going halfers or something with your son, He won't beat the shit out of a car that he had to put some money into

95

Yes it's a great car to start as a teenager

14,185

Death trap on wheels! Someone I know has a friend with one of these cars and went for a ride around the block. Aside from being the harshest, noisy ride ever, they had tuned the suspension for a really taut ride, guess for handling, it was so confining and claustrophobic, I knew that if any SUV struck this car, we'd be dead instantly. It's a terribly fragile and poorly designed and constructed car. Really, one more the smallest things on the road. I won't ever ride in one of those again. So, what's your life worth. Someone 16 should not risk the rest of theirs with so much time ahead of them.