Choosing the right type of fuel

30

Asked by Dec 10, 2013 at 07:01 AM

Dear All,

I have the 508 model 2013 with the 156 hp THP engine.
On the fuel tank it says recommended fuel is 95/98 RON which is very expensive in my
country , the agent is assuring that using 92 RON will not cause a problem only a
slight power degrade.

I am really worried about this and afraid it could cause engine problems on the long
run.
Please advise on that

Thanks in advance
Nader

216,625

I always use the recommended fuel for the vehicle. Yes you can probably use a lower octane fuel, but with less power like you said and possibly lower fuel economy. But why spend all that money on a nice driving car and not treat it properly? If your worried, use the right fuel.

30

Dear Tom, Thanks for your answer , the problem is that the RON 95 fuel is 3 times the price of the RON 92 fuel, what i need to know is will it cause any engine damage on the long run, my engine compression ration is 10.5 and it has turbo.

216,625

I'm curious why you bought the car knowing the fuel cost. But it won't damage it as your car probably has a knock sensor to stop pre ignition.

30

Thanks Tom for your answer, when I bought my car the price difference was slight but suddenly the government decided to take their support for RON95 and take prices up crazy like that :( Thanks again

2,695

Do you have Fuel additives such as Octane boosters where you are from. Usually available from Auto accessory dealers. This could be the answer to your dilemma. Other than that Tom is correct your car will be fitted with a knock sensor which will tell the ECU to retar

2,695

..d the timing and prevent any harm to the engine.

30

Thanks Paul for your answer, yes i could get fuel additives like Stp but i heard they don't do that much enhancement also they might cause some problems with the injection, that's what i heard if i am wrong please correct me.

2,695

Most additives are like headache tablets, they work well as long as you read the instructions and take at prescribed periods. They should not cause any problems as your engine is designed to take higher octane fuel as standard, here in the U.K we run on mainly 95 Ron unleaded fuel, previous to that we were running 98 Ron leaded!! real man fuel.. lol

30

Thank you for your helpful answer.